Doge’s Palace Tour | Walk in the Footsteps of Venetian Rulers
All Your Doge’s Palace Guided Tour Options
Why Go On a Guided Tour of Doge Palace, Venice?
- Expert Knowledge : A professional guide offers valuable insights into the history, architecture, and art of the Doge Palace that might not be common knowledge otherwise.
- Skip the Line Access: Leverage the benefits of priority access with guided tours, avoid the crowds and lengthy lineups, especially during the busiest travel season.
- A Secure Experience: While traveling in an unfamiliar place, a guide can help you navigate the palace's layout whilst considering safety or security concerns.
- Convenience: A Doge's Palace guided tour is perfect if you're short on time or don't want to worry about planning your itinerary. From tickets to arranging transportation, everything is taken care of.
Guided Tours vs Non-Guided Tours
- The majority of Doge's Palace tour tickets come with a skip-the-line option.
- Guided tours offer a more detailed and nuanced understanding of the palace's significance and the stories behind its art and architecture.
- The itinerary is predetermined in a time-efficient manner so it includes all the must-see artifacts and exciting areas of the palace.
- You can get entrance tickets with skip-line access to avoid waiting time.
- Although you will have to explore the attraction on your own, you can use the audio guide or informational panels for a more insightful journey.
- You can browse the different areas of the palace at your own pace if you have a general entry ticket.
Things to See in Doge’s Palace, Venice
The Grand Staircase
A testament to the palace's grandeur and artistry of the Renaissance architects and craftsmen. Designed by architect Antonio Rizzo in the late 15th century and serves as the main entrance to the palace's institutional chambers. The name derives from the two colossal statues of Mars and Neptune, guarding the entrance.
The Doge's Apartments
The Doge's Apartments are a series of lavishly decorated rooms that were private living quarters of the Doge, the ruler of the Venetian Republic. Each room has its own distinctive style. The most notable rooms are the Sala del Collegio, the Sala del Senato, the Sala della Scrutinio, and the Sala del Consiglio dei Dieci.
The Courtyard is a large open, awe-inspiring space in the center of Doge's Palace, designed in the Venetian Renaissance style. It's paved with a geometric pattern of white and pink Istrian stone, with a well in the center. It hosts several cultural events and concerts throughout the year.
The Council Chamber
The Chamber was where the Great Council of the Republic assembled. The ceiling is adorned with paintings by Veronese and Tintoretto. Known for the impressive artwork and unique layout that allowed Doge to oversee the council proceedings, the room has played a crucial role in Venice's history.
The Armoury houses a collection of weapons and armor as the Venetian Republic's military forces evolved. There's an impressive array of swords, halberds, pikes, guns, and cannons, with full armor suits and shields. The highlights include an Ottoman bow and arrow, a Turkish helmet, and armor worn by the Doge Francesco Foscari.
The Palace Prisons
The prisons here are a sobering reminder of the harsh realities of justice and imprisonment in Venice's past. It is accessible by a series of narrow, winding staircases leading to a maze of cramped-up cells and passages. Venetian adventurer and writer, Giacomo Casanova was held here, who later managed to escape.
Frequently Asked Questions About Doge’s Palace Tour
Doge’s palace tour tickets are priced at €30 and above.
Doge’s palace tours include skip-the-line access to the Doge’s Palace and all of its interesting areas.
Doge's Palace guided tours are available in multiple languages. You can choose whatever language you are comfortable with.
It depends on the type of tickets you book. Usually the group tours have a maximum capacity of 15 guests.
Yes, a Doge's Palace tour is worth it if you're interested in history, architecture, and art.
Yes. Doge’s Palace guided tours include skip the line access.
Yes. You can cancel a booked Uffizi Gallery guided tour 24 to 48 hours before the scheduled date and get a full refund.
The Doge's Palace guided tour is between 2-3 hours long, depending on the tour you book.